UPDATE – Sadly the NSSA Regatta for 2020 has been cancelled due to the ongoing Covid-19 situation. The 2021 regatta will now take place at the same venue and the same week.
If you have attended two or more KSSA events this year, you are invited to represent KSSA as part of Kent Team. This year it is being held at the Mount Batten Watersports and Activities Centre Plymouth. Class racing in Topper, Laser Radial, handicap and Rookie fleets.
For those of you who have not attended an NSSA event before then here’s a quick guide to what’s it’s all about:
- NSSA: National Schools Sailing Association – this is their annual regatta which attracts teams of sailors of all abilities from regions across the UK.
- To enter as part of the KSSA team you need to be a member of the KSSA ( have attended at least two training events) AND be a member of the NSSA (membership via their website)
- The KSSA do not select their team, all participating members are invited to be a part of the team. All who sail earn points which count towards the team’s final score.
- KSSA is always well represented by a team of between 20-30 sailors.
- Sailing is fleet based with a Rookie Fleet for sailors in their first year of racing.
- KSSA sailors are supported at the event by two team managers: Brian Mumford and Simon Herrington as well as our Youth Captains: Charlie, Evie and Abbie.
- Parents may choose to find their own accommodation, especially if they have the needs of non-sailors to meet however, many families choose to take advantage of the NSSA camping package (see flyer)
- After sailing there is a programme of evening activities for sailors to socialise
- As many teams have unaccompanied minors we ask that all adults attending this event as part of the KSSA team hold a current DBS (within the last 3 years) Please contact Brian Mumford (Safeguarding and Welfare Officer) using the Contact form and select “Safeguarding” from the list.
- The final date for entry as part of the KSSA team is Sunday 17th May – Please note that this is before the NSSA deadline
If you have any questions or would like to find out more than please find Brian Mumford, Simon Herrington or Claire Pearson at our next sailing event. Alternatively use the Contact form and select “Team Manager”