KSSA Opening Splash – POSTPONED
We have postponed the Opening Splash to Saturday 1st May 2021. Please read the following note from the Commodore:
It is with regret that the team running the Opening Splash have decided that the event cannot take place this Saturday. Many of you will be aware that a moderate north easterly wind can cause problems at Downs for launching and recovering boats. This is especially so around high tide which is around when we would be launching. The forecast suggests that the wind is likely to increase throughout the day and remain in the north east. We have taken soundings from very experienced local sailors and concluded that this together with the cold air and sea temperature and lack of use of the DSC club house due to COVID means that it would not be right to run the event as planned.
Fortunately Downs Sailing Club have kindly agreed that we can run the event next Saturday when the tide is lower which makes an onshore wind there less of a problem. We can only hope that the direction and strength of the wind will be better too. So we are postponing the event to Saturday 1st May with a first start at 10.30am. We will publish a revised Notice of Race and Sailing Instructions on the web site event page shortly. The briefing will now take place on Friday 30th April at 7pm by Zoom and there will be a short beach top briefing at 9.30am on the Saturday. The revised event will be a maximum of three race series but it is probably going to be two races and we will be off the water by 2pm.
I hope that as many of you as possible can make the postponed event. If you can you do not need to do anything and your entry will remain valid. If you cannot please contact Membership to withdraw from the event. We will refund your entry fees.
We are doing our best to make sure the event can go ahead in the best and safest way given the restrictions we are currently under. Most of all we want you, the sailors to come along and enjoy the sailing. Hope to see you on 1st May.